Sunday, June 10, 2007

Unsupervised Children

Maybe it is just because I am a mom, but I am extremely bothered by unsupervised unruly children. The place that I am studying at today has free water and about 15 minutes ago 3 pre-teens walked in to partake in the free water. They looked like they were drenched in sweat from riding their bikes and I did not blame them for wanting to take a break from the sweltering heat outside. At first I could barely hear them because I have ear plugs in, but then they sat down next to me and tallest one began speaking very loudly. It wasn't the volume of his voice that bothered me but the topic of his conversation that was a little scary. The fact that they were discussing dead animal carcases wasn't even that disturbing it was what they wanted to do and have done.
The tallest boy began giving the two younger boys a very graphic description of a pig dissection that took place in his Science class at school. Without getting into the Gorey details, I must say that the things that he claims were done and the things that he wants to do to other dead animals made me very glad that I don't live out here with him. Okay, that probably sounds very judgmental, but the more I grimaced the louder and more graphic his discussion became. My first thought was to ask him to lower the volume but then I thought that I would have to introduce him to the Bar Monster which wouldn't be good, so I decided to stay quiet. They left after all of the water was gone and I was very happy to see them leave.
How does this tie into Evidence? Well just as the disgusting conversation started, I was working on character evidence (specific acts, reputation and opinion evidence) and I was substituting tall pre-teen as the defendant for all of my hypos. I know that this sounds bad but I just couldn't help myself. I have learned that I must not allow myself to become distracted even if it means incorporating the things and events around me into my bar study.

1 comment:

Making and Saving in the LBC said...

Teens in Palm Springs. HAHA. I'm with you on unruly unsupervised children. Hey, you could use the teen as motivation to pass the bar. Do you know anything about Dahmer's teen years? He was "interested" in animals also. This kid may need a defense attorney soon. Drumming up business while studying for the bar...I've heard that the NY distinctions are difficult but, you CAN do it. I have faith in you. I've watched 3 movies this week, I can honestly say that nothing is on tv this summer. You are being productive and not missing a thing.

Remember, He is in charge and submit to his will. You are going to shine this summer!